The W. T. Waggoner Ranch is five time winner of the Texas Ranch Roundup and a recipient of the American Quarter Horse Association's "Best of the Remuda Award".
Members of American Quarter Horse Association, Texas and Southwestern
Cattle Raisers Association, National Beef Council, Texas Alliance
of Energy Producers, and the Texas Land and Mineral Owners Association.
The W. T. Waggoner Ranch is located 13 miles south of Vernon,
Texas with office headquarters in Vernon. The Waggoner Ranch was
established in 1849 by Dan Waggoner. He began buying land in western
Wise County in 1870. As land was cleared for settlement, he
gradually moved west and by the late 1870s settled along Beaver Creek
near Electra Texas.
Dan Waggoner passed away in 1903,
and his son, W. T. (Tom) Waggoner continued to expand his ranching
interests. Today the ranch consists of approximately 535,000
acres, and is recognized as the largest ranch in Texas under one fence.
In 1923, W. T. formed what is known today as the W. T. Waggoner Estate.
He served as trustee, and
his three children, Guy Waggoner, Electra Waggoner Wharton, and E. Paul
Waggoner comprised the Board of Directors.
Main interests of the
company are ranching, oil, and approximately 26,000 acres in
The horses are bred for working ranch purposes,and many still carry the
bloodline of the famous quarter horse, Poco Bueno; The cow
herd is approximately 60 percent straight Hereford with 40 percent
Angus/Hereford and Brangus/Hereford cross. The W. T. Waggoner Estate is managed by A. B.
Wharton and Gene Willingham, Co-directors.