W. T. Waggoner Estate
Welcome to the website of the W.T. Waggoner Estate,
Members of American Quarter Horse Association, Texas and Southwestern Cattle Raisers Association, National Beef Council, Texas Alliance of Energy Producers, and the Texas Land and Mineral Owners Association.
The W. T. Waggoner Estate Ranch is located 13 miles south of Vernon, Texas with office headquarters in Vernon.
The Waggoner Ranch was started in 1849 by Dan Waggoner. He began buying land in western Wise County in 1870. As land was cleared for settlement, he gradually moved west and by the late 1870s settled along Beaver Creek near Electra Texas. Dan Waggoner passed away in 1903, and his son, W. T. (Tom) Waggoner continued to expand his ranching interests. Today the ranch consists of approximately 520,000 acres, and is recognized as the largest ranch in Texas under one fence.
In 1923, W. T. formed what is known today as the W. T. Waggoner Estate. He served as trustee, and his three children, Guy Waggoner, Electra Waggoner Wharton, and E. Paul Waggoner comprised the Board of Directors.
Main interests of the company are ranching, oil, and approximately 26,000 acres in cultivation. The horses are bred for working ranch purposes, and many still carry the bloodline of the famous quarter horse, Poco Bueno.
The cow herd is approximately 60 percent straight Hereford with 40 percent Angus/Hereford and Brangus/Hereford cross.
The W. T. Waggoner Estate is managed by A. B. Wharton and Gene Willingham, Co-directors.